08000 786 056


Home of the Personal Licence Application

A Personal licence is the licence held by an individual who wishes to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol on a licensed premises.
If you intend to work in a pub, restaurant, hotel, shop or anywhere that sells alcohol then you need a Personal Licence.

Although you can sell alcohol without a Personal Licence (so long as you have been authorised to do so by a Personal Licence holder) it is advised that you have your own Personal Licence. This will not only improve your job prospects, but will also ensure you keep on the right side of the law when it comes to selling alcohol responsibly.

To apply for a Personal Licence you first need to obtain the relevant qualification. We recommend the BIIAB APLH (Award for Personal Licence Holders). You can find a course near you by clicking on theTraining link on the left of this page or use the course finder link on the right of this page. Alternatively, just click here to contact us and we will be more than happy to find one for you.

Whilst applying for a Personal Licence is not rocket science, it can be time consuming finding an APLH course near you, dealing with both your Criminal Record check and with your local Authority regarding your application.

If you would like to process your own licence application, you will find all of the relevant links on this site, but if you haven't the time or the inclination then:

We can do all of this for you

We will book your course

Process your certificate

Complete your Criminal Record Checks

Complete your Personal Licence Application

Deal with both agencies and authorities

Ensure you receive your Personal Licence

To complete a Personal Licence Application form click here

To contact us and request a call back from a Personal Licence Advisor click here

Personal Licence Course and Application Offer

Sit your APLH with us and we will take care of the whole Personal Licence Application for you.

To contact the Licensing team click here

To complete a Personal Licence Application click here
To view APLH courses click here and add the Personal Licence Application at checkout. Once you have selected your course, use discount code PLAS2012 to claim your £10 discount.

Do I need a Personal Licence?

The Licensing Act 2003 states that you must have a Personal Licence if you wish to sell alcohol.
If you are to be the DPS named on the Premises Licence you must hold a valid Personal Licence. 

All sales of alcohol must be authorised by a personal licence holder, so it is generally advised that you have more than one Personal Licence holder working at a particular site.  
Although you must have a Personal Licence Holder working at a premises, it is not a legal requirement for a Personal Licence holder always to be present when alcohol is sold.

For further information on Personal Licences and how to get one click here

Find a Personal Licence Course

To obtain your Personal Licence, you must first gain the relevant qualification. The BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders is run nationally, click here to see the full list of over 1000 dates and find your closest course.